Friday, March 19, 2010

Pie Crust Mix

My Grandmother Alice was an excellent Pie Maker. I use to love to go over to her house when she was making pie and watch her shape her dough adding wonderful sweet felling to make such a magical treat. I love the way she cut her dough in the center. I still am trying to figure our how she did it. I can't make the top of my Pie to look as inviting as her, but my family seem to love my pies and well as I loved hers.

I found a Pie Crust mix that I love. In our busy world it help to have this on hand for ........... just in case times.

16 cups flour
6 cups of lard [I prefer Crisco Vegetable Shortening]
6 tsp salt


Mix all ingredients in a very large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour and salt to resemble corn meal. After you have mixed all the ingredients. You take about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup for a single crust or 2 to 2 1/2 cups for a double crust of the mix, depending on how thick that want you crust to be. Add enough water to make a soft dough. Roll out to the size of your pie dish. Place dough in your pie dish. You add your ingredients. If you are making a custard or lemon pie now is the time that you bake your crust. Make sure that you take a fork and poke hole in the dough to keep it from forming air pockets and letting the steam out.
I then place the remaining dough into jars. I use quart size jars. About 3 cups of the mix will fit into the jars. I then place the jars into the freezer to keep until I need them for my next pie. Pretty handy.......Ya think.
This is a step up from my Granny, I am able to make them up ahead of time, because of modern conviences of a freezer.

No comments: