Monday, October 19, 2009

Light Bread

6 cups of warm water
3 tbs yeast
let this set until the yeast has become active then add:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of oil
1 tbs salt

enough flour (about 12 to 14 cups, maybe a more or maybe less) to make a good dough that you can handle. Place dough in a oiled bowl covered with a dish towel. Let it rise until double. You should have enough dough to make about 6 loaves of bread. Or 2 loaves of bread, a 9x13 pan of cinnamon rolls and a 9x13 pan of meat rolls.

Bake at a temperature of 350 for about 35 to 40 min. or until the loaves are a golden brown.

I use this same dough for:
Cinnamon Rolls
Sticky maple buns
Fry Bread
Rolls
Meat rolls
Monkey Bread
Hamburger buns

This recipe is from my Grandmother Alice Bowler Porter only she would put the flour in a big bowl and make a well. She then put her yeast in a cake bowl size of warm water, when she add her yeast and water into the well of flour she added her sugar, oil and salt. With a lot of patience she gradually stirred in a circle fashion with a large spoon until enough flour had been added to the water to make a dough that was workable. She then turned the dough out onto a floured surface and kneaded the dough over and over again.

I still can remember standing at her kitchen table and watching her work her dough. It was like performing magic to me. I think that was where I first learn the love of making bread. It fascinated me then and it still does. I love making bread, but now I use the same recipe that my Grandmother use only I use a BOSH. I think of her when I make bread. She would have loved to have such modern equipment to make her bread, but then I think that she was probably in better shape. She had to use her own type of machine. (MUSCLES)

No comments: