Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cattail Burn Poultice

My mother's mother Alice Bowler Porter has used this recipe and mom stands by it to this day. I remember when I was younger my cousin ,Wade Reidhead got burned really bad, because he was playing around fire. (of course) I was at Grandma Porters house when my Aunt Rose brought him for Grandma to use her magic burn poultice. I remember them laying him on Grandma's kitchen table so that they could apply the burn poultice, it did take his pain away, but I think that he still wears the scars. This is the recipe from simple ingredients Crisco vegetable shorten and cattail hairs. You can find cattail around ponds and lakes.

This is according the the size of the burn.

If the burn is small then start with a teaspoon of Crisco. If the burn is larger then use more Crisco. Take the cattail and pull off the fine hairs, add to the shortening until you make a patty or a poultice. You then cover the burn and cover lightly with gauze. It will not stick to the burn, it will draw the heat out of the burn and heal it. You will be surprised on how quickly it works.



No comments: